Friday, April 08, 2016

BTLN UPDATE - FOOTBALL AND "POP & DOGS"



Congrats to James! This was James' third Helmet of the Btln season! Dylan was there at the end looking for his fourth Helmet, but this week it was James walking away with the Helmet and the Yorkie!

In recent years we have added "Pop and Dogs" to spring Football. This week the guys devoured 64 Menno dogs and drank 20 Liters of Gatorade! And we will do it all over again next week!

I love spring football at Btln! If I had it my way we would be playing football every night in April. It is so good to go outside after being in the gym for most of the year! The weather was perfect, it was still 13 degrees when I went home at 9:30!

Most times when we play Football, the game is low scoring and the score is very even. This week my team got schooled! At first, the game was back and forth without any scoring. Then Dan's team started moving the ball and we could not stop them! I'm not sure what the final score was, but I believe that it was 35-0. Yeah, we got skunked!


In Bible study, Ben talked about counting the cost of following Jesus.

Matthew 19:16-22
Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”
“Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”
“Which ones?” he inquired.
Jesus replied, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, honor your father and mother,’ and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’”
“All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”
Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.

 
For the rich young ruler the cost of following Jesus was too high. Will we be willing to give up our finances or security to follow Jesus?
 
Luke 14:25-27
Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said: “If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple. And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.
 
 
Jesus should be our number one priority. We are supposed to put Jesus ahead of our own interest and even our families!
 

Philippians 2:5-8

In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to deatheven death on a cross!
 
 
Jesus gave up everything for us! He even gave up his life! We should be willing to live our lives for him! Following Jesus is worth it, no matter what it costs us!
 
 
 
THE CAPTAIN

No comments: