Sunday, February 10, 2013

BTLN UPDATE

 

Congrats to Noah! First Helmet of Noah's Btln career! It was Noah and George battling it out at the end and this time it was Noah that came out on top! How was the Yorkie? Chocolate never tasted better!
We had Owen Spisak show up this week! Talk about a blast from the past!(I forgot to take a picture, I must be getting old.) I have said it many times before, it is so good to have Btln Alumni show up on a Wednesday Night! Thanks Owen!
It was more than a month since we last played Murderball and Owen was in town, easy decision! Unfortunately for Owen and the rest of his team (Myself included) we got destroyed! It was not even close! We lost 5-0! Nevertheless it was Murderball at Btln 3739, how could we not have a good time?
This week in our continuing series "The History of the World" or "His Story" we compared promises that God made to David and Solomon.
(2 Samuel 7:8-17)(1 Kings 9:1-9)
I didn't think that we would be still looking at David and Solomon in our Bible studies but there is just so much to cover that we needed another week.

2 Samuel 7:16  Your house and your kingdom will endure forever before me; your throne will be established forever.’”
God promises David an everlasting Kingdom and that his family would never die out.

1 Kings 9:4-5  “As for you, if you walk before me faithfully with integrity of heart and uprightness, as David your father did, and do all I command and observe my decrees and laws, I will establish your royal throne over Israel forever, as I promised David your father when I said, ‘You shall never fail to have a successor on the throne of Israel.’

Solomon is promised the same thing as his father David, but God adds that if Solomon or his descendants don't follow his decrees and laws that the kingdom would be taken away.
Solomon does not follow God's decrees so most of the kingdom is taken away.

1 Kings 11:34-36  “‘But I will not take the whole kingdom out of Solomon’s hand; I have made him ruler all the days of his life for the sake of David my servant, whom I chose and who obeyed my commands and decrees. I will take the kingdom from his son’s hands and give you ten tribes. I will give one tribe to his son so that David my servant may always have a lamp before me in Jerusalem, the city where I chose to put my Name.


1 Kings 11:39  I will humble David’s descendants because of this, but not forever.’”

God knew that Jesus would one day fulfill these promises. (Take a look at Jesus' geneology in Matthew chapter 1.) Jesus did not sit on David's throne when he was on earth but he will one day!

What can we learn from these stories? Even though we will not always follow God's plans for our lives he will always keep his promises! When ten of the twelve tribes were taken away from David's descendents and then later when David's descendents were carried off to Babylon God was still in control.

Numbers 23:19  God is not human, that he should lie, not a human being, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?


2 Peter 3:9  The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.


  THE CAPTAIN

Posted by Picasa

No comments: