Thursday, March 20, 2008

GOOD WEDNESDAY?

 

When I was younger I always wondered how Jesus could be in the grave three days when he died on a Friday and rose again on a Sunday. I was never very good at math but I can count to one. If Jesus died on a Friday and rose again on Sunday that only leaves Saturday. I was reading one of my commentaries when I finally got my answer. Under Jewish law the Israelites had to observe seven festivals each year, two of these festivals were the Passover and Unleavened Bread. These two festivals were on consecutive days with the regular weekly Sabbath to follow. Each of these festivals was considered a Sabbath. Lets recap, Jesus died on a Wednesday the Preparation Day,(the day that the Israelites prepared for the Sabbaths because they were not allowed to do any work on a Sabbath) he was also buried on Wednesday, Thursday is the Passover, Friday is the Unleavened Bread festival, Saturday is the regular weekly Sabbath and Sunday is the day that Jesus rose from the dead! Why is this important? I think that we need to tell the truth. If I could do the math there will be unbelievers who will also be able to figure out that there are not three days between Friday and Sunday. It will look like we as Christians are either not telling the truth or that we are not very smart. Jesus warned that the traditions of men would nullify the word of God.(Matthew 15:6) Lets all take a fresh look at the Easter story this year, expecting God to show us something we have not seen before! (Read: Matthew 27:11-66, Matthew 28:1-20)

THE CAPTAIN
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

so then why is it good friday? and not good wednesday

Blake Chursinoff said...

Hey lance you got any more of those hoodies left over?

Anonymous said...

I don't have any hoodies left but I think we might have enough guys for a second order.

Anonymous said...

dieing on a wednesday would constitute 4 nights,

Anonymous said...

that last comment was David Letterman, i donno why it said anonymous.

Blake Chursinoff said...

Hey lance,

if you end up doing a second order, make sure my name is on that list, i'll square up with you on one of these wed. nights in april.

Anonymous said...

The Jewish day began between sunset and nightfall. Matthew 27:57 says that Joseph of Arimathea buried Jesus as evening approached. John 19:42 says that Joseph buried Jesus nearby where he had died because he was running out of time before the beginning of the Sabbath. So Jesus was in the grave beginning on Thursday. John 20:1 says that Mary Magdalene went to the tomb very early on Sunday, while it was still dark. He might have been raised late evening. Mary waited until just before daybreak to make sure that she didn't break the Sabbath. I still think that it was a Wednesday when Jesus died, it makes the most sense to me.